Monday, November 24, 2008

Steve Schapiro Lecture

Photo journalist Steve Schapiro held a lecture on the 3rd floor today and I went down at the last minute to check it out. And I'm really glad that I did it; it was amazing. This man knew and shot some of the most influential people of the 20th century: Muhammad Ali, Robert Kennedy, Andy Warhol, Martin Luther King Jr., Samuel Beckett, Ray Charles, Jackie Kennedy Onassis, Barbra Streisand, James Baldwin, and Truman Capote. He also did the still photo work on some legendary movies: Taxi Driver, Midnight Cowboy, Chinatown, and the Godfather trilogy.

That's a pretty damn impressive resume. I really wanted to ask him some questions but I just didn't know what to say to the guy. I was really intimidated to be honest.

Fascinating lecture though. I'm amazed that there were only about 20 people in attendance.

No comments: