Saturday, November 29, 2008

Candy Bar Autopsies



Let me just start by saying that these still need a lot of work (color correction, more unified sizes, shadows, etc), but you can see what I'm going for. I wish I would have had better lights to work with, but you take what you can get.

Now, what are they about? An investigation into the empty, instant-gratification obsessed consumption habits of the American populous? A nostalgic analysis of childhood; back when a candy bar could make your day. A third possibility?

Thoughts?

4 comments:

shawna x. said...

i like it. it looks like poo

lindsay said...

i think the idea is interesting. i almost want to see it as more "gory" or something... maybe get a scalpel and some other tools... you know... autopsy style.
I'm envisioning an operating table with pieces of candy in various metal bowls. You know how they weigh that stuff... guts, brains, etc... (bleh!)
Anyway this idea has potential and it's so odd to see the candy bar splayed out like that, but I think you could really push the "autopsy" part of it.
And maybe less symmetry in your presentation. It makes me think you're trying to illustrate something. I dunno.
I want a candy bar now though. : )

sarcasmo said...

Maybe "autopsy" wasn't the best word for the title. I didn't mean for these to be that literal. How about candy bar analysis, or candy bar study? I was hoping they would be more of a comment on consumption habits than anything else.

lindsay said...

yes well... that makes a ton of difference.
: D

"analysis" I get.
"consumption" I also get.
"consumption habits" I don't get, but i don't think it would take much to get there. What are the habits?
You might want to think about illustrating these candy bars in exactly the same way for each piece so there's some repetition there... like a habit.
eh.
food for thought.
pun intended.