Monday, October 1, 2007

The Candian Job - Day Six

I rode 75 miles this day. It was my plan for this day to be the last long day of riding for the trip, and luckily it worked out.

I met a guy fairly early in the day who was riding from Vancouver B.C. down to the Baja Penninsula. I was yet again impressed that a retired guy was making such an epic solo voyage. But he seemed to be pretty impressed that I was making my trip on a single speed bike.

I found a small bottle of Bacardi rum on the side of the road with the seal still intact. I threw it in my bag with intentions of drinking it to celebrate my arrival in Canada, but I never did.

I finished my day at Sequim (pronounced Squim) Bay State Park about 20 miles short of Port Angeles. I met this old timer there named Paul who I quickly befriended. This state park had hiker/biker camping spots too so I got to camp with my brethren. Paul was a retired military engineer (or something like that, I was a little confused about what he did). He had bought a bottle of Merlot and some cheese and rolls in Port Angeles (he was traveling the opposite way from Seattle to SoCal) and he offered to share them with me. So we sat around for like 3 or 4 hours, out on the dock at Sequim Bay, sharing stories and drinking wine. He told me all about how he spent a year cycling through Europe when he was younger and how he recently spent 9 months backpacking through central Africa. Apparently it was pretty hairy in some areas because of guerrilla activity and whatnot.

With only 20 miles left to go I had a hard time falling asleep because I was so excited about getting in Victoria the next day.

No comments: